Sunday, June 28, 2009

Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West




We all know the classic Wizard of Oz story and movie. I have always loved the movie, as many people do. It never even entered my mind that someone could take The Land of Oz and turn it into a dark place. It would never have occured to me that the Wicked Witch was more than a cackling old broad. She had a mother and a father. She had a deformed sister and a perfectly normal brother. She loved and lost and was cleverer than most. How did she become "evil"?

I picked up the novel Wicked and thought that it could be interesting. I haven't found a book in a long time that makes me not want to put it down. This book is genious! It is political, intense and wonderfully weird. Gregory Maguire has created an entirely different interpretation of what Oz is. He makes it serious and more complex and takes on the question of what evil really is whilst still keeping the magic alive. I wont tell too much because i really suggest that everyone read this book if you like in-depth novels.

The Wicked Witch wasn't always so wicked.